Culture

Adults fail to notice Banksy’s great big flaming tyre

image

Parents and teachers around the globe have somehow managed to miss the fact that graffiti artist, Banksy, has painted a child playing with a huge f*ck off burning tyre on the side of a Bristol primary school.

Banksy gifted the artwork, and an accompanying letter, to Bridge Farm Primary School in Bristol as a way of saying thanks to one of their students for naming a school house after him, and teachers and students first set eyes on the piece when they returned to the school after the half-term break. The mural has gained praise from all over the world because of its beautiful aesthetics and the kind gesture behind the gift.

Speaking about the artwork, headteacher Geoff Mason described the piece as “inspirational and aspirational”, with the caretaker who discovered the mural calling it “incredible”.

Seven year old Bridge Farm student, Billy Bunce, said he thought the piece was “beyond awesome”, but couldn’t understand why not one of his teachers had mentioned the burning tyre: “He may as well have painted a picture of a huge white elephant standing in a room. I get the feeling that even if Banksy had painted a massive cock and balls, the school would still want it laminated.”

Six year old Year 1 student, Crystal Clarity, said the piece was “the raddest thing to happen ever at Bridge Farm” and praised the artist for his “exploration of societal themes via the burning tyre including loss of childhood innocence, the increased violence of modern times, the failure of adults to look after the environment for future generations, and revolution.”

When questioned about his thoughts on the message behind the flaming tyre, the school’s Head of Art and Design, Mr Art Scribbler, replied: “Heh? Burning tyre? I didn’t notice it. Who cares anyway? It’s a Banksy!”

Bristol Police have today reported that there have been no incidents of arson in the school since the mural was unveiled yesterday.

The Indeparent is a new spoof parenting news website. For more tongue-in-cheek stories, please Like The Indeparent on Facebook or follow The Indeparent on Twitter.

11 Comments

11 Comments

1. Mummy Fever

June 11, 2016 at 12:13 pm

lol lol – great again! I’m hooked to your blog now you realise! Thanks for joining in with #sharewithme and can’t wait to see next week! xx

• The Indeparent

June 11, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Fab! Being addicted to satire is much healthier for the body and mind than (il)legal highs, so I’ll keep ’em coming then! X

2. Claire - Life, Love and Dirty Dishes

June 12, 2016 at 12:47 pm

Oh to be able to do no wrong like Banksy! It’s weird though right!? Thanks for linking up to #FridayFrolics

• The Indeparent

June 12, 2016 at 1:28 pm

Yes, the irony of being a graffiti artist but being so above the law that you get your stuff laminated rather than washed off. I’m glad though. His stuff is genius if you ask me!

3. Fiona - Coombe Mill

June 13, 2016 at 11:17 am

Oops, a certain irony on a school building, but hey, it is Banksy! #MarvMondays

4. MouseMooMeToo

June 13, 2016 at 10:15 pm

Do you think he has a little ideas book that he thumbs through to choose something at random? Petty arson for a school, genius. Love him too, and how he doesn’t give a sh*t! There is always hope, after all…. #fartglitter

5. My Petit Canard

June 13, 2016 at 10:46 pm

I’ve clearly had my head stuck in a bush or something for the last week as your post was the first I’d heard about this latest piece of banksy work. I generally quite like his stuff, but I do think people get a little bit excited sometimes just about that name more than anything else! Fab sattire, thanks for sharing it on #MarvMondays. Emily

6. Turning Up In Devon

June 14, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Loved your 6 year old Chrystal Clarity’s take on it!! V funny #fartglitter

7. Rhyming with Wine

June 15, 2016 at 10:48 am

I must admit that my eyebrows did twitch a bit when I read one of the original articles quoting the headteacher saying “I’m sure it will inspire the children”. I mean inspire them to do what exactly? Love your take on it, and my tongue is wedged so far into my own cheek reading it my face aches – in a good way! Love it and looking forward to more! Thanks for linking with #fartglitter x

8. Something Crunchy Mummy

June 16, 2016 at 2:20 pm

This is brilliant and I love your blog. This is a very piece of art that parents and teachers think will inspire as in my eyes it’s not the right message to inspire! Thanks for linking up to #justanotherlinky xx

9. Life as Mum

June 17, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Haha this is a great post! Thank you for linking up to #justanotherlinky